Twenty years after our first restoration of this story for BBC2, we return to where it all started for the DVD release. With two decades of experience under our belts and a huge increase in the technology available to us, 'The Dæmons' comes to DVD looking and sounding better than ever...
• 5 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with
• Commentary with actors Katy Manning, Richard Franklin and Damaris Hayman, director Christopher Barry.
• The Devil Rides Out (dur. 28’ 38” ) – cast and crew look back on the making of the story. With actors Katy Manning, Richard Franklin and Damaris Hayman, director Christopher Barry, producer and co-writer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and assistant floor manager Sue Hedden. Narrated by Hannah Lucas.
• Remembering Barry Letts (dur. 33’ 34”) – a look back at the life and work of Barry Letts, much loved actor, writer, director, producer, husband and father, who passed away in 2009. Barry talks about his own life and work, with contributions from his sons Crispin and Dominic, his close friend and colleague Terrance Dicks, producer Derrick Sherwin and ex BBC Head of Serials Ronald Marsh. Narrated by Glen Allen.
• Location Film (dur. 6’ 36”) – a mute amateur 8mm film shot in the village of Aldbourne during the location filming for the story.
• Colourisation Test (dur. 25’00”) – the original colourisation test version of episode one from 1992, checking if it was possible to convincingly combine a broadcast quality film recording with domestic off-air colour to create a broadcastable colour version. The test is presented as was, complete with monochrome titles and dubious sound in places!
• Tomorrow’s World (dur. 5’ 12”) – just prior to the broadcast of the first colourised version of the story in 1992, Tomorrow’s World presented an article on the technology used in the restoration.
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials, Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Gallery.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 15 August 2012. No reproduction allowed without written permission.