The Green Death was originally released on DVD in 2004 as a single disc release with a limited set of extras. The Special Edition release across two discs gives the episodes more space to breathe and allows us to expand the extras onto their own disc.
• 6x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary 1 with actress Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
• Bonus Commentary 2 – stereo. With actors Richard Franklin and Mitzi McKenzie, moderated by Toby Hadoke (episodes 3 – 5); with actress Katy Manning and new series executive producer Russell T Davies (episode 6).
• The One With the Maggots (dur. 26’ 22”) – cast and crew look back at the making of this story. With actors Katy Manning and Stewart Bevan, director Michael Briant, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, assistant floor manager Karilyn Collier and visual effects assistant Colin Mapson.
• Global Conspiracy? (dur. 10' 58") - a spoof investigative report looks at the strange happenings in the village of Llanfairfach. Written by and starring Mark Gatiss.
• Visual Effects (dur. 11' 49") - an interview with the story's visual effects designer, Colin Mapson, including a demonstration of how to build a giant maggot.
• Robert Sloman Interview (dur. 6'50") - an interview with the story's writer.
• Stewart Bevan Interview (dur. 7' 41") - an interview with the actor who played Professor Clifford Jones.
• Wales Today (dur. 2’ 28”) – two pieces from the BBC Wales news programme - a mute 1973 film insert from the filming of The Green Death, and a 1994 item with Jon Pertwee opening the new country park that was built on the site of the colliery used in the story.
• Doctor Forever – The Unquiet Dead (dur. 23’ 08”) – the last instalment in our five part series looking at how Doctor Who was kept alive in the years between the end of the classic series and the beginning of the new. In this unique interview, new series creator Russell T Davies and then BBC Controller of Drama, Jane Tranter, talk about the genesis of Doctor Who’s rebirth on television. Narrated by Zeb Soanes.
• What Katy Did Next (dur 5' 38") - a look at Serendipity, the TV series that Katy Manning presented after leaving Doctor Who.
• The Sarah Jane Adventures – Death of the Doctor (dur. 26’ 23” and 26’ 12”) – this two-part story from 2010 sees Katy Manning reprising her role as Jo Grant and a guest appearance by Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor, as they join forces with series regulars at the Doctor’s funeral… Optional Commentary with actress Katy Manning and series creator Russell T Davies.
• Plus of course the usual PDF materials, Coming Soon trailer, Programme Subtitles, Subtitle Production Notes and Photo Gallery.
Copyright Steve Roberts, 9 April 2016. No reproduction allowed without written permission.